Thursday, April 16, 2009

Service Learning Begins

For my service learning site, I chose the Volunteers of America Food Bank in Everett. According to their main website, Volunteers of America was founded 113 years ago with the vision, "go wherever we are needed and do whatever comes to hand." The volunteers serve all kinds of people including elderly, at risk people and families, needy children, and people recovering from addictions. On the Volunteers of America Western Washington website, they state that the main ways they serve are by food banks, shelters, giving phone calls to the homeless, and "Emergency Services" programs.
At the Everett Food Bank I will be serving all kinds of people from different countries and cultures. On the wall inside the bank there are signs in over 5 different language. When I was at the food bank, the majority of the people we helped were Caucasians, Mexicans, and Chinese, but there were many other nationalities represented as well. Their economic statuses varied widely. One lady wore Hollister clothes and looked just like any person you'd see at the mall, but others were obviously poor and looked like the homeless people you see standing on the side of the street. Many of the people who came to get food were elderly or in their mid thirties and had 2 or 3 children with them. The number of women we served was greater than the number of men, but I would not say that is always the case. These people are not so different from the ones I see everyday, only their circumstances, and that is what brings them to the food bank.
The set up of the food bank is that of a very small grocery store. The customers go to the cans and grains on the shelves, to the freezers, then they circle around to the produce, and end by getting small packages of soups and deserts. Bread is given out in great quantities, and unlike every other item, the people can take as much bread as they want. When they are done shopping they can unload their cart outside and then give the cart to a volunteer who will take it back inside the food bank.
When I was there, there were about 10 volunteers helping out at the food bank. I did not have to do much for the first hour or so that I was there. So I restocked the cereal on the shelves pulled carts out for the next customer. Eventually I was put in charge of the 3 produce items we had for the day and made sure everybody only took one bag of each. From the produce counter, I could see everyone in the food bank and observe how the volunteers who had been there for years helped out. If needed, they helped the handicapped shoppers and reached into the freezers for everybody. One man came in who needed a cane to walk, and he was so hungry that he opened a bag of rolls and started eating it inside the food bank. He apologized, but we all understood. When I had handed out all of cabbage I started giving out bags of giant tortillas. All the people who came through were shocked at the size of them and most seemed excited to try one. Almost all the costumers said thank you when I handed them potatoes and I responded with a smile, glad that I could help.
I'm happy that I chose this site to volunteer at. I have been to a food bank before, and have gone to a Northwest Harvest warehouse twice, but I have never directly helped the people who benefit from these facilites. Before, I was there when the food bank was closed and we were just preparing for their next opening. Now I have been able to see and help the people who go to the food banks, and I am looking forward to helping them when I do service learning next week.

1 comment: